Monday, June 1, 2009

Greeting the Day


My sweet pea's birthday month is here! A year has really flown by so quickly. Dawson has changed and grown so much in such a short amount of time. He was 8 lbs 12 oz at birth and has quickly grown to 27 lbs at 11 months! He wears size 5 diapers and 18-24 month clothes. He is a BIG boy. He has 7 teeth and two more about to come through.


And he has learned so many new skills. One Sunday morning (May 3 -that's for me to remember such an important date) I came in to get him up from his nap and there he was laying on his stomach with the bumper pad pulled down so that he could watch the kids jumping on the trampoline outside his window. His bedroom is on the second floor and both windows look down at the play area, a trampoline, swing set, etc. Anyway, I thought this was probably the cutest thing ever. So I stood him up and helped him hold onto the crib so he could see them better. He got so excited and started yelling and smiling at the kids.

I opened the window and got the kids' attention. Caleb, Patience, Josh and Brys saw him and got all excited too they waved and yelled hello to him. He LOVED this. (He LOVES his older siblings very, very much and they feel the same way about him) And then it all began. His crib, once just for sleeping became the best toy ever. Patience and Brys and then Josh too came up to see him and Dawson thought this was awesome. Grandma Gina and Rita came to watch too. This kid is at his best with an audience. He took off falling and bouncing in his crib, kicking his legs, pulling himself back up only to fall all over again. The more people laughed and cheered him on the wilder he got. He had a blast. And when he hit his head on the bars he would just laugh and get back up. I marvel at what a tough little guy he is.

A couple of weeks ago we gave him corn on the cob. I took a bite to show him what to do and then let him try some. Dawson LOVES corn on the cob. He couldn't get enough. It was so cute and so funny. He went to town on that corn. I love his excitement for learning new skills and about new things in his world. He is so full of wonder for everything. Like TW says he can give me a such a fresh perspective on the world.

This morning when he woke up I came in to get him. I picked him up and was ready to hurry down the stairs to mainline some coffee but he cried when I went towards the door. Right now his vocabulary is pretty limited (mama, dada and a few other phrases we think sound like words but we're not too sure) so it's always a guessing game to figure out what he wants. I thought maybe back in the crib to play? Nope. Down to play with his toys? Nope.

And then I remembered. He loves for me to scoot his crib back so that he can stand by the south facing window and look outside. Once I did that he was happy. He stood pounding the window and smiling.

At bedtime I always hold him and we look out the west window and say goodnight to the day. "Night-night trees, night-night birds, night-night grass, night-night trampoline, etc..."
Then we read our stories, listen to music, rock in the chair while he nurses and then it's off to dreamland.

After he goes to sleep I have to confess I love to look at him. He looks so sweet. Booty in the air, his sweet little cherub mouth and those long lashes against his adorable chubby cheeks. I can't get enough of him. Before I leave the room I always look out the west window one more time. It has the best view of the fading day.

Our night-night routine is one I've established and his morning routine of looking out the window is one he has established. I guess that's just his way of greeting the day.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Aw, that's all so sweet! Sounds like Dawson was a big boy from the start! What are your plans for his birthday? A party perhaps?

MommyQuinn said...

He was! We are going to throw him a party with his brother Brys. Brys turns eleven on the 23rd and Dawson will be One on the 25th. Brys has been asking to have a party with him since before Dawson was born. I think that is super sweet!

You look so cute! Reading your updates reminds me so much of where I was last year at this time. Dawson was due on the 21st, so I really relate to your experiences. Anyways I'm super excited for you guys!! And I'll want to meet the little guy when you bring him here!

Unknown said...

Quinn, my heart feels so warm and fuzzy after reading your blog. Dawson is one lucky kid. I can tell what a great mom you are in the way you write about your time together. I can't wait to be in such loving presence. This visit WILL happen!